Monday 3 June 2013

Me and my hair

Who am I and what am I doing with my life?
So my name is Andrea, I'm 25, Nigerian born but living in London for last 22 years of my life! I am currently writing up my thesis for a PhD in Neuroscience after working towards it for the last 4 years. Once the PhD is done I'll be going into teaching because I'm passionate about getting young people into science! 

What is my hair like?
My hair is relaxed and has been since I was maybe 8 years old. My relaxer is touched up by my mother and there have been times when I would have it done with only 6 weeks passed since the last one. I obviously now know that is a big fat NO-NO and am currently on my longest stretch of 12 weeks and counting. I have been slowly seeing the health of my hair improve as I started implementing changes to my routine. Biggest and simplest things I've done? - reduced the heat and started wearing my hair up and off my shoulders and ends tucked in!! I got over my mindset of buns not being feminine and only when my new growth was too much too deal with (which when I didn't know how to look after my hair was about 6-7 weeks post!). Now I love a good bun and pinterest is my new best friend for ideas and inspiration!

Oct 2012 - Not pretty so slowly but surely snip snip snip!

June 2013 12 weeks post relaxer 2 day old air dryed hair after M/S

May 2013 11 weeks post relaxer freshly blow dried on cool hair
May 2013 11 weeks post relaxer freshly washed, blow dried on cool then  straightened hair


Why am I on a healthy hair journey?
Simply to have healthy, full and long hair! Health of my hair comes first but I would be lying if I said I didn't want hair that falls down my back.

Why am trying to improve wellness and mindfulness?

I am a person that suffers stress easily, struggles to let go and has a tendency to build up things in my head so out of proportion with the real issue. As I get older I want to keep a check on all of this and fine tune me so I'm calmer, happier and just more at peace with myself and the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment